Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Window Washing: Eliminating Nose Prints, Handprints, and Misc. Goo

Windows do not stay clean at my house.  They are always smudged.   I yell.  I plead.  I shake my finger.  I am ignored.

Here are The Culprits:










































































After a few years of buying window cleaner at the store, I finally learned a better way...a cheaper way...a less chemical way.  It doesn't leave streaks.  It doesn't leave paper towel lint.  It is the way professional window cleaners do it.  (My Father-In Law asked one.) 


















Here's what you need:
A bucket
Liquid dish soap
Water
Squeegee 
Window Scrubber (Found in the car washing area at Wal-mart)
An old bath towel

Here is what you do:
1. Fill your bucket with soap and water.
2. Dip your scrubber in and scrub the window all over.
3. Dip your fingertips in water and rub along the blade of the squeegee.  This will make the squeegee glide smoothly down the window.
4. Start at the top on one side and in one stroke and with moderate pressure, drag the squeegee down the window.
5. Wipe the excess water off the blade of the squeegee with one swipe of the towel.
6. Squeegee the other side.
7. Clean-up any excess dripping water with a swipe of the towel along the edges of the window. 
8. Repeat, repeat, repeat.....

4 comments:

  1. Great cleaning tips! I also have this problem with my two boys and two dogs. It has caused many a sad sigh when I clean the windows and there are dog lick marks and handprints on them two minutes later:-)

    I'm so happy you'll be joining the All About the Brontes Challenge! Do you know what you'll be reading/watching/listening to? I have enjoyed discussing it with you in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two minutes sounds about right! My three year old will press his nose on the window while I'm outside cleaning it. I shout, "No! No! No! Mommy just cleaned that! Get your nose off the window!" One of the many reasons my neighbors must think I'm nuts.

    I've been taking some time to figure out what exactly I want to read. It's an extensive list :) I know I'd like to reread Jane Eyre because it's been a few years. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte will definitely be on my list since the author frequents your blog (too cool). The Infernal World of Branwell Bronte is written by one of my favorite authors. I need to check to see if I can get it via Interlibrary loan. Oh and I've never read Agnes Grey. I'll definitely watch some of the movies...need to get my hands on that version of Rebecca you hated :) Wow, I guess my list is actually taking shape. I'll blog my final selections soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say this information was very interesting. I stumbled onto you using a google search and was rather thankful for your rank for this article. Window Cleaning Edmonton Services

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d should check with you here. Which isn’t some thing I do! I like reading a post which will make people believe. Also, thank you permitting me to comment! APS Property Maintenance Services

    ReplyDelete