Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Last Piece of Birthday Cake



















Another birthday come and gone. All that is left is this last piece of cake with one bite missing. It was a good one, and I enjoyed it all week. (Thank you, Mom!)  Luckily, I have the recipe book in which this cake appears, so I can share it with you even if I didn't actually bake it myself.  

Amaretto Cake
(I highly recommend this book.  The recipes include cake mixes that you "doctor up" to create fancier cakes.  One of my favorites is the Macadamia Fudge Torte!)

Cake:
Vegetable Spray for misting pan
Flour for dusting the pan
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg (5.1 oz) vanilla instant pudding
3/4 c  amaretto
1/2 c water
1/2 c vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp pure almond extract

Glaze and Garnish
1 c powdered sugar, sifted (I'd be too lazy to sift.)
3 1/2 TBSP Amaretto
1/3 c slivered almonds, toasted

1.   Preheat oven to 350. Mist 10 in. tube pan with spray and dust with flour.
2.  Blend all cake ingredients on low for 1 min.  Scrape sides of bowl and beat on medium for 2 more minutes.
3.  Pour batter into the pan with a rubber spatula.  
4.  Bake 48-52 minutes until golden brown.
5.  Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.  Run a sharp knife around the edge and invert onto rack, then again onto serving plate.
6.  Mix powdered sugar and Amaretto.  Drizzle over warm cake.  Scatter toasted almonds over the top.  Allow to cake to cool before slicing.

If you don't feel like making this cake, you could always just buy some Amaretto.  My Dad assures me that it's quite tasty all on it's own.

Here are some other Birthday highlights:

cute new shoes...

a comfy sweater...

And a new cookbook!



No comments:

Post a Comment