Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sophie McKay's Chocolate Fruitcake (Sort of)




For the Christmas Reading Challenge, I chose Debbie Macomber's Glad Tidings as one of my selections.  There are two stories in this book, and I'm still on the first, so this is not my official review.  It's just that there are fruitcake recipes in this book, and one is for chocolate fruitcake! I'm not especially a fruitcake fan, but this recipe intrigued me.  I wanted to try it.  Although it is still in the oven as I write these words, I decided to go ahead and post.  If you want to make this cake, get on it in the next week because it takes 3-4 weeks in the fridge before it is ready.  

This recipe calls for soaking the cake in creme de cacao, which is a chocolate liquor.  I love Kahlua, so I am using it instead.  

Sophie McKay's Chocolate Fruitcake (Sort of)

Make 3-4 weeks in advance.  Store in a refrigerator.

Place into a large bowl:
2 c maraschino cherries (cut in half)
2 c chopped dates
2 c pineapple tidbits, well drained
1 c coconut
2 c pecan halves
2 c walnuts (I actually substituted 2 cups chopped pecans)
2 12 oz packages semisweet chocolate chips

Beat the following ingredients on low for 30 seconds, then on high for three minutes.  (I put my stand mixer on medium because the bowl was extremely full.):

3 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c shortening
3/4 c butter
2/3 c creme de cacao (or Kahlua)
1/2 c cocoa powder
9 eggs

**Now at this point, I had my extra large mixing bowl full of this:

My stand mixer full of this (After I mixed, it expanded to the top of the bowl):  

And I was getting nervous about mixing the two together, so I was feeling like this:


Fortunately it all fit.

Pour batter over fruit and nut mixture. (Pour is a very poor word choice. Unless you can hold a 10 lb bowl of batter steady with one arm while using the other to scrape the bowl.  I could not, so I spooned it. It was 10 lbs btw, I weighed it.) Pour into two well-greased loaf pans.  (I used a flute pan and a mini loaf pan...and then ate the leftover.)  Bake at 275 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  After two hours, check with a toothpick every fifteen minutes. 

When cool, set each loaf on a large piece of plastic wrap and pour a jigger (This is the word she used) of creme de cacao (or Kahlua) over them.  Wrap tightly and place inside a Ziploc bag and keep refrigerated for 3-4 weeks.

I have no idea what this will be like.  The batter was delicious, and that is usually a good indicator.  Stay tuned for Fruitcake Part Deux.







6 comments:

  1. hope it turns out! love the pic of your skepticism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been making the fruitcake for 2, maybe three years(since I read the book)... everyone loves it ! So it has become a tradition.. You are going to love it.. I have also put Kahlua(it was what I had available) and it still comes out great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't wait any longer, so I cut into it! Delicious! It think it's going to become a tradition around here as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is there no mixing of the two different bowls of ingredients? What are the steps as for mixing or do you just put it in a flat tray and pour over the and bake?

      Delete
    2. You pour the batter over the fruit mixture (the OP talks about how heavy it is to do so) and mix.

      Delete
  4. This is delicious! Almost like a dense fudge. I have made it several times. It keeps very well for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete