Saturday, July 4, 2009

Plan B





It's raining on my Fourth of July plans.  Nix Plan A to eat at our local festival.  Enter Plan B.  Make a meal that's quick and easy.  Grilling is out because my father informed me that our grill, which we've had for nine years and was a wedding present, might endanger our lives and/or property.  I think his exact words were "I wouldn't use the grill." (BEAT) Dad reconsiders the forcefulness of his statement and revises, "Don't use use the grill."  
In-laws are coming.  So, I must think of something fast and easy.  I decide to make Cheesy Cheddar 'n Ham Loaf.  The recipe comes from Kraft Food and Family, and is a great meal to have on hand for weekends or for the end of the week when the fresh grocery items are gone.  I revised this recipe to use Pillsbury French Loaf, which is found near the refrigerated biscuit tubes at the store and replaced the Miracle Whip with Olive Oil Mayo.  I usually serve this with cottage cheese and fruit.  For dessert, I made Sugar Cookie Bars.  They are the easiest and fastest sugar cookies I've ever made.  http://stylishcuisine.com/?p=1033

Cheddar 'n Ham Loaf Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pkg thinly sliced ham
1 tube Pillsbury French Loaf
1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
1/4 cup Miracle Whip (Olive Oil Mayo)
1 egg (slightly beaten)
Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

 
1. Unroll dough on floured wax paper.
2. Layer on ham, leaving some room around the edges.
3. Mix cheese and mayo.  (I use the ham container).  
4. Spread cheese mix on top of ham.

5.  Moisten edges of dough with brush dipped in water. 
6. Fold dough over 1/3.  Then overlap with other side.  Fold in corners and pinch seams tightly.

7.  Flip seam side down on lightly greased baking sheet or just plop on your EXOPAT mat.  
8.  Cut four slits and brush with egg.
9.  Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
10. Bake 26-30 min.

4 comments:

  1. that looks great! will have to try with veggie lunch meat - or even portabellos, roasted peppers, and onions. mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good. I thought about portobellos and some kind of smoky white cheese. Thanks for following my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of a Exopat Mat... so after a little research, I've decided that I must have one... Thanks for the tip and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Stephanie, you must have one! They are great for cookies.

    ReplyDelete