2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp dried thyme
10 oz button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered. (I use pre-sliced mushrooms, breaking up the big ones)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup Arborio or long-grain rice
1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth (or substitute vegetable)
3 garlic cloves, sliced (I just use the bottled minced garlic 1.5 tsp)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
You must have a deep dish casserole with a lid. I use my largest Corning Ware.
1. Combine butter and thyme. Microwave covered on high 1 minute or until butter is melted.
2. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Microwave covered 8 minutes, until mushrooms release their water.
3. Put mushrooms aside on another plate and try not to snack on them.
4. Combine 1 cup rice, broth, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Microwave on high 9 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of water and microwave 9 more minutes.
6. Stir in the mushrooms and microwave until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan. (If risotto is too thick, add a little water.)