Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte
The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James is my third selection for the All About the Brontes Challenge. It took me several weeks to finish this one. Not because it was slow, but because I wanted to read it when I could give it my full attention. I enjoyed this book very much. However, it felt more like a memoir than a diary as most of the text was Charlotte reflecting on her life and not daily diary entries as events occurred. This in no way disturbed my enjoyment of the novel. The writing felt very true to Charlotte Bronte, as if I was actually reading her words.

This book is wonderfully researched. I learned so much about Charlotte and her family. I especially enjoyed how James revealed the inspirations for Charlotte, Emily, and Anne's novels. I didn't realize the extent that these books were based on people the sisters knew and events that actually happened to them. The most tragic of which was the Helen Burns story based on Charlotte's loss of two of her sisters from tuberculosis at The Clergy Daughters School. This school was the inspiration for the Lowood School that Jane attends in Jane Eyre. I'd like to give away more of these parallels as I marked each one of them in my book with a Post-It, but I won't.

I was also fascinated by Branwell Bronte, Charlotte's brother and a literary genius in his own right. He was a bit of an enigma. At times, I pitied him and at others, I found his behavior despicable and inexcusable. I don't know if I want to read The Infernal World of Branwell Bronte knowing what I do now about his tormented life. I did really appreciate James' sensitive treatment of Branwell's madness.

Additionally, James treated the love story between Charlotte and Arthur Nicholls with delicacy. It was so tenderly expressed, and I love the contrast between what Charlotte imagined love to be and what she experienced love to be with Mr. Nicholls, who was so unlike Mr. Rochester. I couldn't help but compare their love story to Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's considering all the misunderstandings and false judgements.


4 comments:

  1. Okay, now I have a hankering for some Brontes. I'm going to read one of the books you have written about.I actually dropped by your blog to look for it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emmaline! I just discovered your blog. Thank you so much for your wonderful review of my novel about Charlotte. I'm glad you enjoyed it, as it was truly a work of my heart.

    I'm excited to report that my novel "Dracula, My Love" will be out this summer. It's a romantic and thrilling story, and I had such a great time writing it. My publisher was so happy with the manuscript, that she didn't ask for a single revision... If you'd like to learn more about it and other upcoming books (and the movie adaptation of "Secret Diaries!), please visit my website (www.syriejames.com) and sign up for my newsletter.

    If you decide to review my novel "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen," please leave a message at my website and let me know! Thanks again, and all best.

    Syrie James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I've been having a lot of fun with the Bronte challenge. I may have to look for another challenge after I finish this one.

    Syrie, I was very excited and surprised to see your comments on my blog. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review! I very much enjoyed your novel and plan to look for "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen" and "Dracula, My Love." Congrats on the movie adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review-I have for sure added this book to my TBR list-I see you appreciate the work of Rebecca Du Maurier-A book I really liked was her The Infernal World of Branwell Bronte-a beautifully written semispecualtive biography

    ReplyDelete