Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Morning Scones


Just thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes: Buttermilk Blueberry Scones from Average Betty.  She has really excellent step by step photos. You don't have to actually purchase buttermilk, just sour milk using 1 TBSP white vinegar or lemon juice per 1 cup of milk.  Do this step first because it needs to sit for five minutes.  She suggests using frozen blueberries because fresh bleed too much.  I think she said this backwards. Fresh blueberries bleed less than frozen.  I've been getting really good fresh blueberries at the store lately.

Of course I've made changes to this recipe to suit my tastes, and I think it is improved to perfection!  Instead of cutting with the biscuit cutter, I prefer to just dust my baking stone with a little flour, form a disk and cut the traditional scone triangles.  You will want to separate them some so that they don't bake together.  I do not coat with the buttermilk at the end, but sprinkle sparkling sugar on top and pat them in lightly before popping them into the oven. After baking, I make a glaze out of powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle this glaze over the cooled scones.  YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. Though I would replace blueberries with chocolate chips as I love chocolate!

    FYI- I loved The Book Thief and Blackbird House. Hoffman is one of my favorite writers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can never go wrong with chocolate chips!!! My sister introduced me to the chocolate peanut butter swirl chips last summer, but I can't find them anywhere now. They were awesome!!

    I read the Book Thief last summer and purchased the audio book for my husband as a Christmas gift. I haven't listened to too many audio books, but this one is by far the best of those. It is absolutely fabulous!!

    The Blackbird House was the first Hoffman book I've ever read. At first I was frustrated because I wanted to know more about certain characters, but the story would move on a generation and leave them behind. After I got used to that structure, I was able to enjoy the book much more. I really love books that have a surreal quality, so I'll definitely read more from this author.

    ReplyDelete